Question : Problem: CPU temperature problems (Intel P4 2.8ghz)

Hello,

3 years ago, I bought a new CPU (Pentium 4 2.8ghz) and a new motherboard (Abit IS7).
For the first couple of years, this setup turned out to be pretty cool and quiet. According to my "ABIT EQ" application the CPU's temperature was at ~40C idle and ~50C under full load, interestingly the CPU-fan ran at 0 rpm when idle (well not really when you open the case and look at it). Still a pretty quite system!

However recently this has changed: My CPU is always at ~60C no matter if its under load or not, this has also lead to the CPU-fan to constantly run at ~1700 rpm, you can image that this makes my system rather noisy.

I've tryed reapplying the thermal grease with no luck and the problem persists when I use another operative system. I've also tried down-clocking the CPU frequency in the BIOS to 1.4ghz, with a small effect: the CPU temperature stayed at ~55C... both during idle and load. Isn't it kind of strange that the CPU maintains the same temperature on both idle and load?

Could this be my CPU-fan? I am using the brand "Artic Cooling" (Also bought seperatly) Or is this part of Intel's business model? that their CPU:s gradually heat up over the years so you have to buy a new one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Henrik

Answer : Problem: CPU temperature problems (Intel P4 2.8ghz)

Replace the heatsink/fan, boot to a memtest bootiso (http://www.memtest.org/#downiso), then check temps / speeds in bios.

if its still higher than normal, id guess at a faulty chip. seen quite a few skt 478's that just start running a bit too hot after 1-2 years.

Did you buy a retail cpu by the way? (i mean did it come boxed with a Intel Fan/Heatsink, or was it just oem and you bought a seperate heatsink). If you did, should have a 3 year warranty with it, so contact Intel to check the status.

Good luck!
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us