Question : Problem: Dell Inspiron 600m won't power on unless docked

My Dell Inspiron 600m won't power up unless it's in the docking station (port replicator). Batteries charge just fine; I've replaced the batteries and the power cord, as well as the power button (which still works to put it into standby or turn it off, but not to turn it on or come out of standby) and have updated, de-updated, and re-updated the BIOS, and rebuilt a couple of times. Have tried it with various AC/battery combinations, but only the docking station works. It's 2.5 years old, still in warranty, but I don't want to send it off for repair if I can help it.

Any thoughts?

Answer : Problem: Dell Inspiron 600m won't power on unless docked

No, in that case not, but it does sound like something more complicated for which you'd need to change more hardware. You could try removing the CMOS battery first and wait some time, then replace that battery with a new one. But it could also be a case of bad capacitors, for which you would need to change the board with those capacitors on it. Is the power button on a kind of small piggy-back board? maybe changing that might help.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us