Question : Problem: Backup Exec - Autoloader

Heres the setup:

Windows 2000 Server with backup exec
Overland Storage Tape Autoloader. 11 tapes.

What i need to backup:

12 servers - 200+ gigs  

What i would like.

I would like to configure each server as a seperate backup job, incase the backup fails so it will continue with the next backup.

I would like to create 3 "partitions" on the tapes

MON and WED use tapes 1,2,3
TUES and THURS use tapes 4,5,6,
Fri use tapes 7,8,9   (i plan on swapping the friday tapes out on monday) so it will really be a friday 1 and friday 2 backup.

I have the backup jobs configured. I have the partitions defined, and the backups work. But when server 1 completes, the backup goes to server 2. When server 2 starts to backup, it overwrites the backup from server 1.

I would like to have the first servers  backup overwrite the data on the tapes, and the rest append the data to the first backup.

Can i just schedule the first backup before the rest and tell it to overwirite the tape, and set the rest to start later and append to the media?

thanks in advance

Answer : Problem: Backup Exec - Autoloader

You don't have to set different jobs for each server - if a directory is inaccessable, the job log will show that the backup failed (which it did), but it will continue onto the next directory (server) and back that up.  If you are backing up Server1, Server2 and Server3, and BExec cannot access any of the files on Server2, it will register those as errors and continue on to Server3.

Job status = Failed does not mean that that job is unusable for restore, or that no data was written.  It just means that the software failed at backing up all the data you specified.

Just put it as one large job, not little jobs.  That will solve your overwrite problem.

If you do not want to do that, make sure that the settings for each media set on the Media tab are set to the correct Append and Overwrite values.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us