Question : Problem: Terminal Server licensing issue

I have a application running on a terminal where all users connect to from offsite. this morning I am gettin the followin error when I try to connect to it.  "the remote session was disconnected because there are no terminal server client access licenses available for this computer. please contact the server administrator"   I looked into the licensing and it looks like the licenses are all used, but for some reason I have like computers that are using more than one license for instance its listing laptop1  multiple times. is there a way I can revoke a license like a normal server cal?

Answer : Problem: Terminal Server licensing issue

If you have (or had) more than one license server then you can also run into this issue.

If you have more than one license server then you might want to look at hard coding the client machines to pull licenses from a single source.
Look at ... 20. 3.    How to Hardcode a Preferred Terminal Services License Server near the bottom of ... http://www.dabcc.com/miab/miab10/20.-Microsoft-Terminal-Services-License-Server-MIAB-1.aspx

If you are using device cals then you should not run into a problem if you are not connecting machines than you have cals.

Just an idea ... the license token is stored in the registry under the local machine ... if for some reason the key is getting deleted or removed from the registry after it has been validated then this would account for multiple tokens being issued.  The server validates the token onthe second connection, the token is then removed from the registry and the next time the machine connects a new temporary token will be issued ... uponthe next connection a permanent token is issued but the first is still recorded in the license server ... until the expiration period expires it will retain these tokens assigned to these machines.

The problem you are experiencing could be that this is happening and no tokens are available for you at the end of your temporary 90 token assignment ... you will then get the error you have.
Or
if you have multiple license servers (or had) then if your token was issued by a server that is no longer accessible then once it expires you will get that error.

As a work-around ... try deleteing the token from the registry of the machine you cannot connect from ... this should allow it to connect and receive a new 90 day temporary license ... hopefully a full license will free up soon.
Check this out ... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q248430
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us