Question : Problem: DVD Decoder

Alright, I have an Intel Celeron 333Mhz with 96Mb of RAM on an integrated video motherboard (Spare me the flames!)  I also have an ATI XPERT 98 with 8Mb of dedicated video RAM.  I installed a Samsung 8x DVD and the latest Samsung driver.  Since the video card has DVD support, I installed the ATI software driver associated with my video card and get a message from the ATI DVD player that "Either my audio driver is in use, Video Layering (?) is not available, or there is not enough video RAM available.  If I use the "PC Friendly DVD Player" I am told that None of the decoders I "thought" I had is recognized.  Does this mean that I need a dedicated DVD Decoder Card, or can I somehow force the DVD player to recognize even a software decoder that I already have?  I would prefer to use hardware acceleration if possible, but if not, I will buy a bigger/better video card until I can use hardware acc!
As far as points are concerned, I would offer more, But I don't have enough to offer just yet!

Update, I figured out how to earn more points  so I upped it from 35 to 100! I know it probably isn't that hard, but I just want it figured out!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Josh

Answer : Problem: DVD Decoder

Have you tried the newest video and sound drivers and installed directx7.0a?  If not then I would start there.

Also, I would go to Control Panel | System | Performance | Graphics and make sure that the slider for hardware Acclereation is set to full.  Set your resolution to 800 x 600 with 16 bit (High Color) colors.

If it still does not work I would seriously recommend buying a hardware decoder card.  Since software dvd decoding is very processor intensive, you may have jerky video even if you do get it to work.  Normally, with Celerons you want at least a 400Mhz when doing software decoding.  Besides, dvd cards are only about $70 and it would give you the option to sending the movie to your tv and it comes with a spdif for Dolby Digital 5.1 sound.  Maybe, you don't want to do digital sound now, but maybe in the future it will strike your fancy.  Once you do Dolby 5.1 there is no going back. :)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us