Question : Problem: FSB problems with new mobo and XP chip

Hello,

Iv recently rebuilt my machine with a new mobo and cpu.  The mobo is a Gigabyte 7N400 Pro nForce2 Ultra 400 and the CPU is an Athlon Barton XP2800+

All went well, and I installed the cpu fine with some arctic silver and new fan suitable for up to XP3200+

It all booted up fine, and its been on for 24hours now with no stability probs or anything, but the problem that I do have is that the chip is only running at 1250mhz instead of 2.0ghz.

I have updated the BIOS to the latest release, and also installed CPU-Z which shows the information below!  Now the obvious error is that the FSB is running at 100.2mhz instead of 166.  Iv entered the BIOS in advanced mode and changed the FSB to 166, which makes no difference at all! iv played about with numerous settings in the bios and it makes no difference to the clock speed or the FSB speed in CPU-Z

Also in the CPU-Z it says the release is C1, but im positive when I ordered it it stated Rev2 of the board!  But im not sure how accurace CPU-Z would be for this?

My memory is 1gb of 3200 DDR400 but that is also showing in CPU-Z as 1gb of 3200 200mhz, but is that due to it being dual channel and me having 4x sticks of 256?

Any ideas or suggestions for the FSB problem would be mucho appreciated! thanks!

CPU(s)       
Number of CPUs      1
Name      AMD Athlon XP
Code Name      Barton
Specification      AMD Athlon(tm)
Family / Model / Stepping      6 A 0
Extended Family / Model      7 A
Package      Socket A
Technology      0.13 µ
Supported Instructions Sets      MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE
CPU Clock Speed      1252.9 MHz
Clock multiplier      x 12.5
Front Side Bus Frequency      100.2 MHz
Bus Speed      200.5 MHz
L1 Data Cache      64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Instruction Cache      64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Cache      512 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed      1252.9 MHz (Full)
L2 Location      On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic      yes
L2 Bus Width      64 bits

Mainboard and chipset       
Motherboard manufacturer      Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Motherboard model      nVidia-nForce2, x.x
BIOS vendor      Award Software International, Inc.
BIOS revision      FG
BIOS release date      10/11/2004
Chipset      nVidia nForce2 Ultra 400 rev. C1
Southbridge      nVidia nForce2 MCP rev. A4
Sensor chip      FFFF

Answer : Problem: FSB problems with new mobo and XP chip

If joinaunions suggestion does not work:

I also have a Nforce 2 ultra 400 but an EPOX
On this there is a jumper to force the FSB to 100Mhz (can be handy at overclocking- failures). This is from Nvidias reference design, but not all Motherboard makers include it,  but give it a try, if yours is set to 100 Mhz.

> Also in the CPU-Z it says the release is C1, but im positive when I ordered it it stated Rev2 of the board!  But im not sure how >accurace CPU-Z would be for this?

Chipset     nVidia nForce2 Ultra 400 rev. C1

which is the first Northbridge/SPP that officially supported FSB 400 and Dual channel
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us