Question : Problem: E Machine CEL - Intel CPU Fan quits spinning and computer says on

I replaced the powersupply in my friends cpu because he was having problems and it was making noise so we have a new 500 watt power supply but it continues to loose video and stay on:  drives stay on, video is off and fan is off.

I have removed extra cards incase they were the cause but didn't help.  Is the chip fried if the fan goes off?  Why would intel do this.  THe fan runs fine at first and all the power is plugged into the board.  Any ideas?

Answer : Problem: E Machine CEL - Intel CPU Fan quits spinning and computer says on

This seems to be a motherboard problem.  If you don't mind, cut the ground (black) and 12V (red or yellow), but leave the RPM sensor (white-ish) intact.  Then, strip and extend the wires as necessary, and put the wires into a molex connector.  On a molex, the 12V is yellow and ground is black.  You should use electrical tape to hold the wires in the molex connector.

When you turn on the computer, if the fan spins, that's good; the fan would then get the same voltage from the same rail as the drives.  Therefore, since the drives spin, the fan should spin as well.  If the fan does not spin, you have a dead fan.

If for some reason the PC does actually boot, I recommend that you leave the fan plugged into the molex connector because that works.  Also, it would then suck less power through your motherboard, and that's good.

Thank you,
Radomir Jordanovic
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us