Question : Problem: Possible corrupt BIOS chip? BIOS Year resets to 1999. Windows year says 10009

I have a random problem with my windows clock in the tray changing year. I was typing yesterday, and my pc froze up, so i immediately looked at the clock, as I have been having this problem for about 8/9 months. the clock said 12-30-2004, then in a few moments, it said 12-30-10009. I have reflashed my BIOS and put in a new BIOS battery to no avail. The newest BIOS flash was a new BIOS from asus. Prior to this flash, the clock would change the year to 9999. I have re-installed windows numerous times in the hopes that it was an OS failure. Is it possible that the BIOS chip is somehow screwed up? Alternately, Can windows write to the BIOS clock, meaning, if I change the date in windows, will it also change the BIOS clock date? or is the BIOS clock a READ ONLY as far as windows is concerned? When i boot into the BIOS after this event, the BIOS clock is reset to 1999. The day and month stay correct, only the year gets reset. So i change the time in the BIOS, reboot, and all is well for a time. Sometimes weeks go by and no problem, sometimes days, sometimes a month. Its completely random. The board is a 10 month old ASUS P4C800-E deluxe. Thank you for your time.
ps: An email was also sent to ASUS about this. Havent heard a thing yet.

Answer : Problem: Possible corrupt BIOS chip? BIOS Year resets to 1999. Windows year says 10009

I haven't heard of a BIOS virus. As any changes in the EEPROM would need a flash utility to run I kind of doubt they'd be very easy to make.

Perhaps a bad real-time clock or some kind of problem with the CMOS circuits... just guessing here, actually...
/RID
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us