Question : Problem: Which video card for a Dell Precision T7500 workstation?

Based on input I received in the CPU zone I plan to purchase a 64-bit Dell Precision T7500 Workstation. This is primarily to accommodate video (and audio) processing and working with large Excel spreadsheets. The video and audio is for videos such as narrated PowerPoint presentations or talking heads giving a talk about something. It is not fast-paced action. The spreadsheets can be 50MB files with 50,000+ rows and 40 columns. I am not a gamer.

I use a single Dell 2709W 27" digital LCD monitor. (It's excellent, although it does double duty as a space heater.) It has both DVI and DisplayPort inputs.

I am asking for your help in deciding which video card to purchase with the T7500 given the nature of my applications. Below is the list of options from dell.com including the incremental price for each. Their default is the 256MB NVIDIA® Quadro® NVS 295.

Which would you recommend for my situation? Why?  Thanks you!

4.0GB NVIDIA® Quadro® FX 5800, DUAL MON, 1DP & 2DVI [add $3,600]

1.5GB NVIDIA® Quadro® FX 4800, DUAL MON, 2DP & 1DVI [add $1,419]

1.0GB NVIDIA® Quadro® FX 3800, DUAL MON, 2 DP & 1 DVI [add $900]

768MB NVIDIA® Quadro® FX 1800, DUAL MON, 2 DP & 1 DVI [add $490]

512MB NVIDIA® Quadro® FX 580, DUAL MON, 2 DP & 1 DVI [add $120]

512MB NVIDIA® Quadro® NVS 420, Quad Monitor, 4DP [add $410]

512MB NVIDIA® Quadro® NVS 420, Quad Monitor, 4DP, 4DVI [add $410]

256MB NVIDIA® Quadro® NVS 295, DUAL MON, 2 DP [Included in Price]

1.0GB ATI FirePro" V8700, DUAL MON, 2 DP & 1 DVI [add $1,239]

512MB ATI FirePro" V5700, DUAL MON, 2 DP & 1 DVI [add $490]

256MB ATI FirePro" V3750, DUAL MON, 2 DP & 1 DVI [add $100]

Answer : Problem: Which video card for a Dell Precision T7500 workstation?

The fundamental graphics "engines" are the same on workstation and desktop video cards; but the workstation cards definitely have more stable firmware, and are better suited for high-end rendering applications.   In addition, as Callandor noted, they have better support and are more rigorously tested.   You are, of course, paying for that ... but if you stay with a modest card (the FX580) it's a reasonable value.

The desktop cards are more focused on Direct-X support for gaming, but they do still support OpenGL ... they simply aren't certified and both the firmware and the drivers are optimized for Direct-X (thus better gaming support).   They also tend to push the GPU more ... thus consuming higher power and generating more heat (although workstation cards will also stress the GPU when rendering).

I agree a good card of either "flavor" would be fine for your applications ... but for a workstation class system I'd use the workstation card, and given that decision, I'd pay the small upgrade charge to go with the FX580.

... but as I noted in my original comment, you could always get the base card and simply replace the video card if you ever decide you need more performance (or decide you want to do some gaming).    If you DO decide to go with a desktop class card, the 9800GT is a superb choice:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130435   I'm not a gamer, but that's what I used for my most recent desktop system [primarily so there's enough gaming performance for my grandkids when they visit :-) ].
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us