Question : Problem: Linux Router with http domain specific forwarding

Hey all.
Scenario:
I am trying to save some money, by moving some of my sites to my home.  I have also been planning on setting up my own Linux router at home, to improve performance over my crappy dlink as well.

Well, I don't want both the sites to be on 1 server, so simple port forwarding would not work. I was wondering what is the best solution. Something that works like a load balance, but one machine per domain.  Could I use a dns server for this? Is squid my best choice?  I admit network is not my strong suite, neither is linux (c# developer) so details will be greatly appreciated.

And do you know a distro you would recommend? I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but would rather it be a easy to use distro. I was considering Untangle, and have a home license for Astaro. Any comments on these two would be welcomed.  

Answer : Problem: Linux Router with http domain specific forwarding

Hi yah sorry for delay reply, due to weaknd was not at home

Your comment :
But if I am understanding you right... I can use one linux box, as a router, and DNS server, and do just that... correct?t :

yes you would be able to use one linux box as router and dns server.

your comment :

When a web request comes in over port 80 it will look to forward that request from information retrieved from its local dns server to where ever I have pointed it in the local network? Just want to make sure I understand...

yes, its right,
in the zone fie , you will have to define which internal pc is webserver by definning A record. also since you said, you have windows server , you can make this windows server as dns server [ if you need extra information please let me know]

Your comment:
As far as the distros you recommended, all of those I have heard of before as main OS of linux, but would you not recommend a specific distro made to be a router? Or should I use something like ubuntu? I was just afraid using one of those you recommend would have a bunch of extras on them not really needed, and as this is a linux box, that I am not familiar with, as well as being exposed to the web 100% (since it is a router) I have shyed away from just that.

You can use ubuntu if you are familier with, when you will make a linux box as router , all you have to define is iptables and some rules in iptables that all to work it as router  [ if you need any extra help how to make linux box as router , let mek now]

Your comment:

As far as having another ISP as stay by. That is an interesting idea, that I can't afford right now :)... But, if I did, how would you set something like that up? I mean can one domain have 2 ip addresses that it goes to? Just curious since you mentioned it.

I said in my earlier comments that you should be have 2 name server
if you look at your domain you will see there is 2 nameserver something liek ns1.hostingcompany.com and ns2.hostingcompany.com
but when you will maintain your own dns server then you will have to change those nameserver to your own nameserver [ to your public ip] , now if you have one isp , then if any problem if isp line gives any trouble then nobody in the world would find you, so its good to have 2 isp, but since you said, your website would get few hits so i guess you would be allright.

also, Shared hosting is always cheap, since you will have only 40 people visiting site then you can get any cheap shared hosting with $10 to $12 a month even cheaper if you look in google [ like serversea.com ]  or you can have vps hosting like i have with only $4 a month!!

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us