Question : Problem: How to replace and test capacitors

I have a few old motherboards that have 1 or 2 bulged capacitors on them that are causing random (but seldom) reboots while working.  I am under the understanding that you can replace these.  I have attempted to replace one with a capacitor that appeared to be in good condition from another board.  Is this something that can be expected to work or will the motherboard most likely have other issues stemming from the blown capacitor?  How should I test whether the capacitor is good, I have only a voltmeter.  Any good information on replacing components like capacitors and testing them will be a help also.  Good information may deserve an increase in point value.  Thanks alot!

Answer : Problem: How to replace and test capacitors

You need a good soldering iron as the motherboards use a high heat solder to attach the capacitors to the board. Some de-soldering braid can come in handy but I find that melting the solder from the underside of the board and pushing the pins out works well, working back and forth between the capacitor pins until it can be removed. Getting the rest of the solder out of the pin holes can be a challenge, the de-soldering braid can be used here but can get messy and you don't want to spread the solder to another connecting point on the board. Sometimes just remelting the remaining solder in the hole and pushing the new capacitor pins through works better.
Be careful of the heat you generate while doing this, if the iron is left too long on one point you can damage the pcb board or lift the copper pads that surround the hole.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us