Question : Problem: Layer 2 Switch Issue

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help with a switch issue I'm experiencing.

My manager is currently setting up a bunch of servers at our datacentre. They are all Dell machines (2970s I believe) and connect to a Cisco Catalyst 2950 Layer 2 switch.

The problem he has is thus:

1 server hosts 2 IP addresses on a single NIC. The rest host only a single IP address. Pings from any of these servers to the default IP address on the "double IP" server are all successful. Pings to the secondary address all fail.

Now, as this is only a layer 2 switch, this would seem to make sense. I realse it doesn't have any concept of IPs and I assume that any ARP is done elsewhere. It there anything we can do to make this secondary IP address visible? Basically we want to know how to "assign" 2 IPs to a single MAC (without purchasing a layer 3 switch!)  

Am I on the correct train of thought? :-)

Many thanks for any help,

Olly

Answer : Problem: Layer 2 Switch Issue

hi!
the switch was not an issue to my mind (if the configuration was saved before restart)
i suppose interface of server going down and up solved your problem. so your server's tcp/ip stack reseted and initialized from the config.
and if the server was accessible from outside, but wasn't pingable, also points to the server's tcp/ip stack issue, but not to the switch
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us