Question : Problem: Network Card not working....cannot remove WAN Miniport

Hi

This is the info i have been given:

The users network card does not work, the network card is a realtek 8139 family or 3189 (he's not sure which)....and I dont have access to this machine

The user and someone else have tried without luck to get it working.....they told me "we want to remove WAN Miniport....how do we do it"

The machine is an XP Home PC.

The WAN Miniport does not HAVE to be removed...it can be disabled, long as the card works.

I have Googled around, and he best solutions seems to be:
--------------------
The reason that uninstalling the device fails is that the device is marked in the registry as not being user removable. You can find the relevant registry key by searching the registry for the string "Packet Scheduler Miniport".

The key should be under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet. The "not user removable" attribute is stored in the Characteristics bitfield of the device's registry key.

The "not user removable" bit is 0x20 and clearing that bit allows the device to be
removed through Device Manager, e.g. If the characteristics value was 0x00000029 change it to 0x00000009.
---------------

Now, if the above is done will the card work ???

And what implications does it have by removing/disabling the WAN Miniport

Answer : Problem: Network Card not working....cannot remove WAN Miniport

RealTek Mini port LAN cards are built on the Motherboard itself, therefore non removable but can be disabled in BIOS.  You will need to get a PCI LAN card to take it's place if you want to continue using the LAN (Network).

Such as:

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=BROWSE&N=200688&product_code=284928&Pn=Instant_Gigabit_EG1032_PCI_Ethernet_Adapter or:

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=BROWSE&N=200688&product_code=316834&Pn=Gigabit_10_100_1000_Network_PCI_card

Go into BIOS and disable the on-board LAN Card, then insert a card like above into a PCI (short white slot on the motherboard), then restart the PC and load the software that comes with the new card.

Thanks,

Wes
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us