Question : Problem: Windows Memory Diagnostics Locks-up During Testing

I have a 4 year old server with a ASUS PR-DLS533 motherboard. During a recent reboot I noticed the warnings that the event log on the motherboard was full. When reviewing the logs the errors referred to ECC memory errors. Okay one of the 3 banks of 2 (1gb) memory modules was bad. Using MemTest 86+ I was able to locate and remove the faulty memory module. I also discovered that the clip that held the chipset heat sink in place had broken. So the heatsink was laying at the bottom of the case. Since the clip isn't repairable I've used Artic Silver thermal adhesive to reattach the heatsink.

Only here's my question. I also attempted to run the Windows Memory Diagnostics test utility on this system. Just to verify the damaged memory had been removed. But shortly after the test is started (1-2 minutes) it locks up. No errors.

What could the cause be? Is the chipset damaged because of it not having a heatsink for an unknow lenght of time? I've tried swapping the remaining memory modules around and running the WMD test. But with the same results.

Thanks,
Lee

Answer : Problem: Windows Memory Diagnostics Locks-up During Testing

well - if the chip overheats, it can lock up the cpu...it all boils down to the same...
bad hardware = bad results...
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us