Question : Problem: CPU Smart Fan control for AMI Bios e8400 ECS G31-TM

In an effort to reduce CPU fan noise in my ECS G31T-M Motherboard (AMI bios v2.59), socket 775 e8400 Intel Core 2 Duo (Not OC), I replaced my very loud Thermaltake with a much quieter Scythe Shuirken SCSK-1000 that supports PWM (Power Width Modulation) adjustable fan speed control.  The mobo has a feature called Smart Fan to adjust the CPU fan speed as necessary, however I do not understand the settings.  When Smart Fan is disabled speedfan registers the fan at 2200 rpm (full speed and a little loud). When Smart Fan is enabled with the default settings, the fan runs at ~300 rpm regardless of the load.  Even with Prime95 running both cores at 100% bringing the cpu temp to 62 degrees doesnt change the fan speed at all. (With the fan at full speed, the temp never reaches above 46)  I want a happy medium.  I have searched all over the net for the descriptions of the Smart Fan settings without success.

Can you please describe (in simple terms) what each of these controls does and what direction change does what:

Smart Fan Start PWM Value      Default 28        (Range 0 to127)
Smart Fan Start Offset (-)      Default 44      (Range 10 to 127)
CPU Delta T            Default +3      (Range 0 to 15)
Fan 1 Slope PWM Value/1Unit I      Default 5      (Range 1 to 15)
Fan 1 Full Speed Offset (-)      Default 23      (Dependant variable)

In a screen before these settings list a dependant variable under PECI Mode called Offset to TCC Activation Temp that is currently -68.

Thank You.

Answer : Problem: CPU Smart Fan control for AMI Bios e8400 ECS G31-TM

The second setting is solved (sort of) too.  Smart Fan Start Offset (-)
This is the key to the fan ramping up the speed as the CPU heats up.  Although the range of 10-127 is quite large, it is very sensitive to finding the sweet spot.  For example, a value of 70 has the fan running fast (~1500 RPM on my fan) even at start up.  No load or full load has no change for the cpu temp (about 45 degrees) with the fan running that speed.  However a value of 60, and the fan never ramps up from the starting rpm.  ,,,but 66 (on my machine) is optimal.  The fan is on low (500 rpm) until the temp starts approaching 50 degrees, and then the fan slowly increases (often as high as 1200 rpm) to keep the cpu temp below 50-52.  Success!  It is a slow process to adjust this, but once dialed in, should work well.
Delta T and slope probably relate to how fast it reacts as temps rise.  Not sure what change does what, but the settings I have work good now.  Problem solved.

I hope this stays on line to help others with this little addressed issue.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us