Question : Problem: RE: Migrating 2x120GB SATA Raid 1 Discs from Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard to a new system with Asus K8N-E Deluxe Motherboard

I have my personal MP3 collection backed up on a Raid 1 (mirrored) disc set using Maxtor 120GB SATA Drives. It worked great on my old computer. I recently purchased a new computer featuring an Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard.

My questions are:

1) Can I move the discs easily?
2) Is there any migration paths that people are aware of?
3) Are there any dangers?
4) Anyone else done this?
5) Is it easier to simply set up my old computer, buy a new ATA HD, copy the raid disk contents to the new HD, then take that ATA drive to new system and re-copy it to a new RAID device in Raid 1?

I obviously do not want to lose any data, ripping 1200 CD"s (again) would make me weep uncontrollably :)

Links to the 2 motherboards are below, bios is current, am using Windows XP Professional with all the service packs and patches installed.

OLD:
http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7N8X%20Deluxe&langs=09

NEW:
http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=K8N-E%20Deluxe&langs=09

Thanks in advance.

Answer : Problem: RE: Migrating 2x120GB SATA Raid 1 Discs from Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard to a new system with Asus K8N-E Deluxe Motherboard

You absolutely need another copy of your data. An ATA drive would do it, but I think I would be looking at a DVD burner. Very cheap these days. I had an experience with an A7N8X Deluxe board a while ago, which resulted in my returning it and exchanging for a different brand. Major data corruption problems at shutdown. Just couldn't get it to work reliably. The problem appeared to be that bios would shut the power off before the drives had finished cache flushing, resulting in a failed mirror set pretty much all the time - bearing in mind that the drives are not controlled from bios, but from a supposedly integrated Silicon Image controller. I hope you have a better experience.

Good luck

Chris B
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us