Question : Problem: CISCO 1811, DUAL WAN Connectivity, multiple hosted services, static IPs, Load balancing

We are setting up a new network as our company moves.

I have been looking at the CISCO 1811 over the Sonicwall TZ 170. For several reasons, including the built in wireless, unlimited users, (we would need a 25 node sonicwall), and dual-wan requires enhanced sonicos, where the cisco comes out of the box with support for it. But I may be wrong.

Will the Cisco 1811 do the following
- Dual WAN support, with load balancing. 2 x DSL lines (from same provider)
- Each DSL line of service will have a set of static IP addresses
- We have several servers that offer external resources, and each needs it's own external Static IP assigned to it's resources. (WEB, FTP, remote control on one) (E-mail and remote control on a second) (and web on a third). Can this be accomplished?
- We basically have 5 needs, web hosting, email, hosted PBX phones(voip), VPN, and local network web browsing.

I am willing to lock the web, email, and vpn to different IPs and DSL connections, and not utilize load balancing. But for the phones and the local network it would be nice to have the load balancing utilized, is this possible?

Where to I begin to program the cisco to do all of this? I haven't used the cisco IOS for years, and when I did it was with basic modem configuration. So I need some assistance there.

Answer : Problem: CISCO 1811, DUAL WAN Connectivity, multiple hosted services, static IPs, Load balancing

My $0.02 for what it's worth...

> Dual wan with load balancing...
... over low-cost broadband DSL links...
This is not Cisco's primary forte. Yes, you can do some load balancing, but the results probably won't be what you expect. You can do load 'sharing' where you spread the load, but not true load balancing over two different DSL links. Your voice would surely suffer if you tried it. Yes, the Cisco marketing material in the link below says it provides WAN failover and load balancing, and that is using reliable static routing with object tracking to detect failed routes. Its primary purpose is failover and not true load balancing.

>- Each DSL line of service will have a set of static IP addresses
That's good, but you can only NAT an inside IP address to 1 public IP. You can't nat 2 different public IP's to your same www server. There are some tricks we can throw at it, though. Microsoft lets you put up to 5 IP addresses on your NIC. Just add extra IP's to the server, then map them to individual different public ips

>each needs it's own external Static IP assigned to it's resources
Follow up to above, yes Cisco products are very adept at handing multiple nat/port forwarding scenarios

>We basically have 5 needs, web hosting, email, hosted PBX phones(voip), VPN, and local network web browsing.
I generally would not recommend the low-end 1800 series for critical business applications like web hosting, and certainly not using it for a one stop shop with routing, nat, firewalling, traffic control, wireless access, VoIP and everything else you can throw at it. It was really designed for remote office, small office use by a handful of casual Internet users, or p2p links back to Corporate. If it was me, I might consider something more robust than the 1811. I would go with the Cisco ASA5510 firewall appliance, dual-wan specialized appliance like fatpipes Superstream http://www.fatpipeinc.com/superstream/index.html  or PePlink http://www.peplink.com/productsFeatures.php?productName=balance300 and perhaps an external wireless access point or two.
Spreading the functions out to "best in class" products gives you 1) a defense in depth strategy for security, 2) rock-solid performance and reliabilty, 3) with 1 and 2, gives you ability to provide hosted customers with SLA's that can differentiate you from other hosters.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5853/products_data_sheet0900aecd8028a95f.html
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us