Question : Problem: SCSI drive failed in RAID 5, Adaptec RAID software won't recognize new drive to rebuild array

I have a custom built server that is running a RAID 5 and RAID 1 split backplane.  The OS is Win2003 and it is running an Adaptec SCSI RAID card.  One of the drives recently failed and I went to install the new drive and rebuild the array using the adaptec manager (not in the OS) and it will not recognize the new drive.  when i put the old drive back in it recognizes it but shows that it cannot rebuild it.  i have tried 3 different drives and none of them show up so I figure that I am doing something wrong.  Anybody know what I might need to do to get the new drive to show up?  All drives are in bays and are hot swapable so all their jumpers are the same and I can't find any difference from the new drive and the old busted drive in terms of jumper settings etc.  What am I not seeing/doing?

thanks
Futureman

Answer : Problem: SCSI drive failed in RAID 5, Adaptec RAID software won't recognize new drive to rebuild array

So to be clear, moving a good drive to where the bad one was, the good drive still works.  Putting a new drive where you just had that good drive originally, the new one still isn't recognized?  

How many drives are there total?  Could there be something wrong with the cage you're using or is it just a simple C shaped bracket?
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us