Question : Problem: Adding a second SATA drive to an existing XP  OS

I am trying to add another SATA hard drive for extra storage
I am trying to add a seagate 160 Gb SATA drive
 on a ABIT AV8 MB running Windows XP with an AMD 64 3500+ processor
Currently I have a a Maxtor SATA 120 Gb HD
I have tried doing a fresh XP install on just the Seagate but it does not recognize the drive I may not be loading the correct drivers at the start of the install.
I have also tried disabling the RAID in bios  and plugging both drives in but the system will not boot.

Answer : Problem: Adding a second SATA drive to an existing XP  OS

But Windows isn't loaded on the new drive so seeing the startup screen isn't telling you anything about the new drive.  You're just experiencing a driver failure as Windows is loading up.  

What I meant was without a dedicated card or a software driver.  With IDE drives, manufacturers got around board limitations by including a driver on a disk that you could install that would trick the board and allow Windows to see your whole drive.  A newer, dedicated controller should do it too.   Many manufacturers (Seagate for one) sell 150GB+ drives with an addon controller that can access the extended space.  You may require something like that if your board doesn't support larger drives. If it says 150GB, it may mean it.  I know there is a 127GB partition limit for many boards.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us