Question : Problem: Storage Server 2003 - Help me understand Please

Experts,

I am working with a client that is about to replace an old server with a new one.  The new is a Dell PowerEdge 1800 w/ 3 x 36GB SCSI in Raid 5.  The old server is having MB issues and has a broken tape drive, so it is critical to replace it and also install a more reliable backup solution.  The total data to be backed up is about 20 GB and it is mission critical data.  The owner wants the following:  A backup solution that offers the least amount of down time to restore and that can potentially mirror the dataset on the RAID disks.  I have considered using Veritas Backup Exec and some Maxtor firewire external disks to accomodate the backup, but I'm not sure how to accomodate creating a "live" backup copy of the entire RAID data.  

If I implement Storage Server 2003 on a Dell PowerVault 745 NAS, will it allow me to accomodate both situations?  I'm not sure I understand the full capability of it.  If my primary server crashed, what would be the benefit of having my data backed up on the PowerVault vs. a Maxtor drive?

I hope this is not too confusing.

Regards,
Stephen

Answer : Problem: Storage Server 2003 - Help me understand Please

Take a look at Acronis True Image
http://www.acronis.com/
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us