Question : Problem: How can I make a SCSI Hard drive the primary drive on a Dell Dimension 4100?

I have a Dell Dimension 4100 (built in 2000). I would like to install an Ultra 160 18GB HD (68 pin) as the primary drive. I have an Ultra 160 pci controller card. This system currently uses both primary and secondary HD controllers for an 30GB ATA HD and Iomega ZIP  and a DVD player and CD Rewriter. I would like to keep each of these. My problem, however, is that in CMOS there is the usual boot order choices (floppy, cdrom), but no SCSI. Is my only option to desiginate the primary controller as none and then lose two of my other devices or is there another workaround?

Thanks.

Answer : Problem: How can I make a SCSI Hard drive the primary drive on a Dell Dimension 4100?

You don't need to physically change the IDE connections.  Your IDE drives can still be in their current location.  It's been a couple years since I had a system boot from SCSI - but with an Adaptec controller all I had to do was hit Ctrl-A (as noted above - although I didn't have to hit it "many times", just the instant the Adaptec BIOS was displayed) and set it to boot from the SCSI drive.   I don't recall for sure, but I may have also taken the IDE out of the "boot order" in the BIOS setup -- but these are all software configuration changes -- no need to reconfigure your drives.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us