Question : Problem: Use my Windows Mobile 5.0 Phone Edition phone as USB modem for my PC

Hello,

I have this hardware/software:

- handheld+phone: i-Mate Jasjar (same as T-Mobile MDA Pro) with Windows Mobile 5.0 Phone Edition
- Windows XP PC with Activesync 4.0 (dev. edition)
- USB connection cable
- UMTS+GPRS flat connection rate

Can I use my i-Mate Jasjar as (USB) modem for my PC?  if so, how must I configure it and my PC to obtain it?

Thanks,
Outmarcus

Answer : Problem: Use my Windows Mobile 5.0 Phone Edition phone as USB modem for my PC

Yes the usb modem does work after the update here is how:

Firstly open active sync and choose File -> Conncetion Properties and de-tick the USB box. This might not be necessary but it avoids Active Sync getting in the way.

Now take your phone off its cradle. Go To Programs -> Accessories and Model Link. Change Connection to USB amd the choose Menu (soft key) and activate. Now place the phone in the cradle.

Windows will display that it has found new hardware. Allow it to produce the Wizard Menu. Choose next and the choose specify location. Insert the CD that came with the phone. Choose next. It will ask you that you wish to continue etc just keep going untill you reach the end of the wizard.

Now you have the modem installed and can configure it.

Go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel and Choose Phone and Modem options. Choose the HTC Usb Modem and choose Properties and Advanced. In the initialisation String box use:

+cgdcont=1,"IP","orangeinternet","",0,0  ------ Contact your Provider

Now create a new dial up connection. The phone number is *99# and ensure that the HTC Usb modem is ticked and none of the others.

Now simply dial up.

You can reenable active sync after installation. When u wish to use the phone as a usb modem. Remove it from the cradle and Activate the Mode Link and place it back in the cradle. Active sync wont start and instead you will be ib modem mode
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us