Question : Problem: Setting up two access points with same SSID

I have the following network setup:

Linksys 8 port router (RV082) at the center of my network. DHCP server turned on.
Two linksys wireless g routers (WRT54G and WRT54GS respectively) connected to the main router via a wire. DHCP servers turned off.

Several clients are connected both wired and wirelessly.

Both the wireless routers have identical wireless settings, except one is on channel 1, the other on channel 11.

I expected this to cause the two routers to behave like access points, allowing my computer to connect to whichever one is stronger. But when I do this, computers cannot connect to the network at all (Limited Connectivity warning). If I change the SSIDs around so they are different, I can connect to either one. I hear people on forums suggesting that the routers must be in "AP" mode. But I can't find this setting.

Third party firmware is out of the question.

How do I set up the routers to both have the same SSID and behave as access points?

Answer : Problem: Setting up two access points with same SSID

Set both to infrastructure mode and make sure security settings on both are identical that way the client set up to poll for XXX SSID will choose the best connection and authenticate to it.

On the client side make sure that you have the SSID and security setting set and have it set to Access Point (infrastructure mode) and check the automatically connect to non-preferred networks.

Getting this to work with residential grade equipment can be hit or miss in any event.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us