Question : Problem: BlackBerry devices no longer receive or send emails

We currently have one Exchange 2003 server(physical box) and one BlackBerry Professional server(version 4.1.4.15) setup(VMware ESX machine). Both of these are connected on our LAN via Gigabit switches. We recently setup a Sophos email appliance on the network to scan our emails. Now in the last few days we have been told that the BlackBerry devices are no longer able to send or receive emails. I am able to send PIN messages fine but no emails are being transfered.

We have a user setup as BESAdmin and is a member of the Domain Users group only. Only certain groups of users in our company have BlackBerry devices so we only set the SendAs permissions for those particular OU's in Active Directory. I have confirmed that the users in those OU's have the BESAdmin user with SendAs permissions enabled.

Steps I have taken to try resolving the issue:
1. I have restarted the server that the BlackBerry server is on to see if that would take care of the issue.
2. In the BlackBerry Manager resent the service books and asked a user to pull the battery while the device is powered up and that had no affect.
3. I tried to remove the user from the BlackBerry server and re-add them. When trying to add them back I was notified that we have exceeded our licesense number (6) and that the user could not be added even though we had just removed the user. We ended up going into the SQL database and deleting the user from there in order to add a user back. We have since had issues trying to run an Enterprise Activation on that phone.

What log files should we look in to troubleshoot this and what should we look for?

We have also recently installed the following Windows Updates on the server that the BlackBerry professional server is installed (All installed on the same day):
Security Update for SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 4 (KB948110)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows Server 2003 (KB953838)
Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows Server 2003 (KB951066)
Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB950974)
Security Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008 (KB948109)
Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB950762)
Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB951748)
Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB951698)
Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows Server 2003 (KB950760)
Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB952954)

Answer : Problem: BlackBerry devices no longer receive or send emails

I have finally determined what the problem was. It appears that we had the wrong MAPI files on the server as well as having Microsoft Outlook installed. Once I removed Outlook and uninstalled the Exchange Management Tools, then re-installed Exchange Management Tools everything seems to be working again.

This can be closed now.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us