Question : Problem: Dual SCSI Hard Drives

I just installed 2 identical SCSI Hard Drives in an old server I'm rehabbing, and I think I might have missed a step in the setup routine, because only one drive is recognised. With both drives connected, my system says one drive is ID 0, and the controller card os ID 7,  but the other drive is missing. If I unplug the ribbon cable from that drive, the other (formerly missing...) Drive appears as ID 0, but the first drive is now missing. What do I need to do to make them both recognised??? I guess this would be like the Master/Slave jumpers in IDE, but how do you arrange dual drives in SCSI? I'm not nearly as proficcient is SCSI as I am in IDE, but M/S doesn't seem to be a SCSI setting. What did I do wrong??

Tom  

Answer : Problem: Dual SCSI Hard Drives

SCSI works by giving each device an unique ID.  You have BOTH hard drives with the SAME ID - this is a no-no.  Set up one drive to be ID 1.  Look at the drive for a block of jumpers, possibly numbered 0,1,2,4 and put the jumper on the set of pins for 1.  Consult your drive's manual or possibly the top of the drive for more information on jumper settings for the hard drives.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us