Question : Problem: Backup Solutions

Hi All,

This more of a general opion question. I am currently researching Backup Solutions for Windows Server Environments. I would really like some opinions and maybe some links that you can direct me to in regards to best solutions from those who have had experience with different applications. I currently use Symantec Backup Exec v12, SP2. But as some of you may know it is a fickle piece of software that needs constant attention to get 100% successful backup jobs on a regular basis. I need a solution that I can set and leave. What is out there that is stable, solid, scalable, User friendly, and productive, with a quick and easy recovery process.

Answer : Problem: Backup Solutions

You might also want to consider a Virtual Tape Library (VTL) product.  These emulate multiple tape autoloaders or libraries, and have some real advantages:
- Eliminate most of the problems with physical tape (bad or missing media, tape spanning, etc.)
- Provide the benefits of tape automation: Create a device with multiple tape slots so you don't have to worry about filling up a tape and changing tapes at 3AM
- Creation of multiple target devices allows you to run many backup jobs concurrently
- May provide for automatic tape offload, a process that can be automated, managed, and run during business hours
- Many can be used to perform replication to a remote site so that you've got protection against a site disaster (fire, flood, theft, etc,)

They are more expensive than a standalone tape drive, however... but a sound investment for many small- to mid-size businesses.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us