Question : Problem: RAM is not reported correctly in System Properties

Hi,

In December, we upgraded the RAM in all of our desktops to 2GB from Crucial.  One of the PCs had 1GB already, so I just added another stick.  (I know, kits work best, but that's what I did, just letting you know - I guess I didn't do a very thorough job; I don't even remember if I checked that the RAM was recognized in System Properties or anywhere when I first installed it, although I'm pretty sure I remember it saying the memory changed, so I took that to mean it was recognized.)  Recently the employee who had this PC terminated, and I was about to reformat it, but I noticed that even though there are two 1GB sticks of RAM installed, if I go to System Properties > General, it reports only 992MB.

I tried testing both sticks, one at a time, in each slot, with the same result each time.  I went to Run > winmsd, and it shows
Total Physical Memory          1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory   486.13 MB
Total Virtual Memory             2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory      1.96 GB

The PC's running XP SP2.  One Crucial, one Kingston stick.

Any ideas on this one?

Answer : Problem: RAM is not reported correctly in System Properties

First check that the timings on the new ram match your old ram (cruicial is high performance so it may need more power/different timings than your Kingston ram). If you post the specs (the model number or whatever) of both sticks of ram I am sure we can track down the timings with you.
Also if you can post the model of computer/motherboard we can track down the compatibility with that ram.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us