Question : Problem: mouse keeps highlighting things

Throughout the day my mouse will select random text and desktop icons on my computer. I have try different mice, keyboard and docking station with my latitude d620. I have shut down and restarted several times and it seems to go away for a few days but then it comes back. How can i get rid of this permently?

Answer : Problem: mouse keeps highlighting things

Firstly, and I've suffered this myself.  If you are using a laptop with a built in mouse pad in front of the keyboard, find out how to disable it!   Most machines do not disable that if you connect an external "Real" mouse, much to most peoples confusion.  (I speak from experience here!)

Make sure you do not have a mobile phone anywhere near the PC or mouse, some will pick up the phone's signals and act as if the mouse is doing things all by itself.  It's known as EMC trouble.  If you have any high power Radio Frequency sources nearby, phone or paging transmitters, welders etc, try to move further away from them.  Also try to keep the mouse and other interconnecting leads as short as posible if this is the problem.   You can get clip on ferrite beads to help supress this sort of thing, but it needs identifying first.

Next, try to find out if you have the exact correct drivers for the mouse you use.  It's not unknown for things to get misidentified with plug-n-prey things, and though most seem to work "OK" with the wrong mouse, some will vary from locking up the PC, to strange things happening.

Also, please do what nobus suggests, a thourough check for "Malware", or even hidden instances of VNC or remote desktop running, that someone is using just to anoy you (at best).   VNC is a remote control system, very usefull, but also in the wrong hands, potentialy very bad.   Especialy if this happens only when you are connected to a network.

Above all, come back and let us know what you find, or not...

Dave.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us