Question : Problem: How to configure a VPN Tunnel using Linksys WRV54G

Hi everyone,

I am trying to configure a VPN Tunnel using Linksys WRV54G (firmware: 2.39.2), and after reading a multitude of approaches I have yet to find a solutions that works.

Here is our setup; we have a local network with a domain, which is comprised of one Win2K domain controller, and a few WinXP workstations. The DC is likewise acting as the DNS and DHCP server for the local network.

The WRV54G is the connecting router and also provides internet connectivity for all PC within the network (including the DC), however, as mentioned above, the DHCP function of the router has been disabled.

We are trying to establish a VPN tunnel to the router so that n number of WinXP workstations can connect to the local network. We are trying to setup a tunnel (instead of using QuickVPN), so that the remote WinXP workstations can be members of the domain, and be validated as a domain computer. (I.e., we would like to have our XP workstations connect using the simple XP connection wizard, or some other simple approach to achieve the domain membership).

Also, both the router and the connecting workstations are identified using DDNS, thus neither have public static IPs.

My question, does anyone know of, or have a set of instructions that describe how to successfully setup a VPN tunnel as required above? I have followed the instructions from the WRV54G guide, and many instructions found on the net, but all are partial or incomplete.

Thus far, I have tried setting up a tunnel on the server, with an IP Policy on the server, as described in the WRV54G manual. I have tried the instructions from Greenbow (which include only making changes to the router, and nothing to any computers on the local network inside the router). Still nothing….  Help! :)

My apologies that this question has been asked before, but in different variations, but I have been working on this problem for weeks now, and am nearing the point of desperation! Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

My latest, I have reset the router to factory specs, established my broadband connection settings, and disabled the DHCP. So I am starting with a fresh slate.

Cheers,

Ian

Answer : Problem: How to configure a VPN Tunnel using Linksys WRV54G

I can't find the link for the WRV54G but the BEFVP41 configuration options should be very similar. Most of the work is on the Windows end. Take a big breath before you start.  
http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=207
http://www.homenethelp.com/vpn/router-linksys.asp
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us