Question : Problem: newbie: how to install vnc on debian

How do I install vnc4server for debian etch? I tried

apt-get install vnc4server

when I run vnc4server, the log says:

Xvnc Free Edition 4.1.1 - built Feb 26 2007 20:43:44
Copyright (C) 2002-2005 RealVNC Ltd.
See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.
Underlying X server release 40300000, The XFree86 Project, Inc

Tue Jun 12 14:03:39 2007
 vncext:      VNC extension running!
 vncext:      Listening for VNC connections on port 5901
 vncext:      created VNC server for screen 0
/root/.vnc/xstartup: line 5: /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: Permission denied
/root/.vnc/xstartup: line 5: exec: /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: cannot execute: Success
Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID, removing from list!

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'
~

Answer : Problem: newbie: how to install vnc on debian

See if this helps from the VNC FAQ...
http://www.fifi.org/doc/vnc-common/faq.html

I started the X server using vncserver, but it dies with a message "Could not open default font 'fixed'. "

The 'fixed' font is needed for the server to start - if it can't find it, you need to specify the correct font path for your machine in the 'vncserver' script. If you're not sure what the path should be, type 'xset q' from within a normal X session. One of the things reported is the font path used by your current X server, which is generally the right thing to use for Xvnc. On some platforms you may need to use a colon as a separator in the font path instead of a comma. If you're on a recent version of Linux but still using VNC version 3.3.1, you may have compressed fonts which VNC doesn't understand. Either upgrade or see the Old FAQ.
    The VNC server can also get upset if you have directories on your font path which don't actually exist on your system. Make sure you remove those. Also note that older versions of the Xvnc server, by default, act as if they had a resolution of 100dpi. Some RedHat installations, for example, only install 75dpi fonts, so you may need to install the missing font RPMs from your distribution or use the -dpi option to Xvnc, or update to the latest version.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us