Question : Problem: APC UPS Network Management Card remote shutdown

Hi,

This is more advice than a resolution to a problem i am looking for.

I am considering purchasing an APC SMART-UPS 2200VA, however i need the ups to have the capability of shutting down 3 HP DL380 servers running windows server 2008. I understand that the basic funtionality of the device allows shutdown via usb cable (which of course can only be used for just server) and after researching a bit more, found the APC UPS NETWORK MANAGEMENT CARD. This is an expansion card for the UPS which can connect to the LAN via an ethernet port and can be used for managing the UPS via a web browser - fantastic!

What i want to know is if i can use the web interface of the network management card to configure the UPS to shutdown the attached servers when the power reaches a specific level. And if so, does it do this by sending a command via it's ethernet interface to the IP addresses of the attached servers?

I have read the following abstract from a suppliers description of the management card:

'Using the 10BaseT and 10/100BaseT Network Management Cards, you can monitor and configure your APC UPSs to shut down and reboot your computer systems'

However this does not say exactly how. I do not want to purchase such an expensive system if it cannot do what i expect of it.

Thanks.

Answer : Problem: APC UPS Network Management Card remote shutdown

The card in the UPS communicates with an agent (software client) installed on your servers.  Upon reaching your threshold, the management card will send shutdown signal to the agent software.

The agent software will then instigate an orderly shutdown of the operating system.

You have newer servers, so this should also perform a hardware shutdown via logic built in to the motherboard.  Older servers would be left on the screen "OK to shut down" screen, depending on the OS, but would continue to spin drives and fans.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us