Question : Problem: Printer disappeared after installing webcam

My printer connection appears to have disappeared after installing a Quickcam Messenger webcam (USB) and the Imagestudio 7.3.0 software that came with it. What happens is when I try to print from Word, the computer tells me that there is no printer. And then if I go to the printer section of the Control Panel, the only icon I see is "Add New Printer". And when I click on "Add New Printer", it says "Insufficient resouces, cannot complete the operation ... blah blah blah".  Does anybody know what's happened to my printer, and what I can do about it? Thanks.

Oh, and I have since downloaded and reinstalled the printer driver (HP Deskjet 840c), but the problem is still there. I am using Windows 2000.

Answer : Problem: Printer disappeared after installing webcam

Is this printer networked or connected directly to the pc ?

try these in the meantime...

"Operation Could Not Be Completed" When Using Add Printer Wizard
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0

This article was previously published under Q158042
For a Microsoft Windows XP version of this article, see 314876.

SYMPTOMS
When you create a printer (either a local printer or a remote network printer) by using the Add Printer Wizard, you may receive one of the following error messages:

Operation could not be completed. The RPC Server is unavailable.

Operation could not be completed. The remote procedure call failed and did not execute.

Printer operation cannot continue due to lack of resources. The print subsystem is unavailable.
CAUSE
The error message occurs because the Spooler service has not been started or has stopped working. To start the Spooler service, use the following steps.
Windows NT 4.0
Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click the Services icon.
Double-click the Spooler service, click Startup, and then set the startup type to Automatic. This sets the Spooler service to start automatically when you restart the computer.
Windows 2000
Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Services.
Double-click the Printer Spooler service, and then change the startup type to Automatic. This sets the Spooler service to start automatically when you restart the computer.
MORE INFORMATION
You can also start the Spooler service by typing net start spooler in the Run dialog box.

Note that the error message is not resolved even if you start the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator and service in the Services tool in Control Panel.

IF that does not help here's this

Error Message: Printer Driver Was Not Installed; Operation Could Not Be Completed
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

This article was previously published under Q281534
SYMPTOMS
When you click Finish in the Add Printer Wizard, you may receive the following error message:

Printer driver was not installed. Operation could not be completed.
CAUSE
This behavior can occur if you install a Microsoft Windows 95-based, Microsoft Windows 98-based, or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition-based printer driver in Microsoft Windows XP. The Windows 95-based and Windows 98-based printer drivers are not compatible with Windows XP or Windows .NET.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, use one of the following printer drivers (the most preferred driver is listed first):
A Windows XP-based printer driver (shipped with Windows XP or from the printer manufacturer)
A Windows 2000-based printer driver
A Windows NT 4.0-based printer driver

Err Msg: Not Enough Storage to Complete Operation
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0

This article was previously published under Q166840
SYMPTOMS
When you try to open the Printers folder, you may receive the following error message:

There is not enough storage to complete this operation
CAUSE
The size of the registry has exceeded the maximum size set in the virtual memory settings.
RESOLUTION
Increase the maximum registry size. To do so, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Control Panel, double-click System.
Click the Performance tab, and then click Change (In Windows 2000, click the Advanced tab, click Performance Options, and then Change).
Type a new, larger value in the Maximum Registry Size box, and then click OK.
Close Control Panel and then restart the computer.
MORE INFORMATION
The registry increases in size as you install programs and use the computer. It may be necessary to increase the size of the registry periodically, depending on how and how much you use your computer.

Add Printer Wizard Does Not Work and Previously Installed Printers Are Not Displayed

This article was previously published under Q271248
SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to add a printer using the Add Printer Wizard, you may experience one or all of the following:
Printers that were previously installed no longer show up in the Printers folder.
When you double-click the Add Printer Wizard, the wizard does not start, and you are returned to the Printers folder.
When you click Server Properties in the File menu in the Printers folder, the Server Properties window does not open and you are returned to the Printers folder.
CAUSE
This behavior can occur if third-party or earlier versions of dynamic-link library (.dll) files are located in both the %Systemroot% folder (\Winnt folder) and the System32 directory. If .dll files are located in the %Systemroot% folder (\Winnt folder) and the System32 directory, the printer subsystem does not function correctly.

This behavior also occurs with the Tektronix Usage Analysis Tool version 1.11.

IMPORTANT: Any existing .DLL files within the %Systemroot% folder (\Winnt folder) may have been added by an improper Windows 2000 installation or a third-party program. Microsoft strongly recommends you back up your system before renaming or removing any files from within the Windows directory structure. Renaming or removing these files may disable other installed programs or otherwise cause those programs to fail.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, rename all .dll files from the %Systemroot% folder (\Winnt folder), except for the following files:
Twain.dll
Twain_32.dll
Vmmreg32.dll

NOTE: All other .dll files may have been added by an improper installation or a third-party program. If you rename the files, you may disable that program.

After you make this change, restart the computer.
MORE INFORMATION
The third-party products that are discussed in this article are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us