Question : Problem: Intel SRCZCR supported SCSI drives compatible with Seagate ST336607LC

Hello,

In one of our servers there is an Intel SCSI RAID controller, the SRCZCR with 3 Seagate ST336607LC 80P Ultra320 SCSI drives. One of the drives is becoming very bad so I decided to search for a replacement. Unfortunately I can't find the drive in stock anymore because it is end of life. I tried to swap the bad drive with an Hitachi (IBM) UltraStar IC35L036UCDY10-0 (80P Ultra320) drive but the controller doesn't accept this drive for swapping with the Seagate. Does anybody know what drive to use instead of the Seagate ST336607LC without having trouble swapping it?

Kind Regards,

Maurice

Answer : Problem: Intel SRCZCR supported SCSI drives compatible with Seagate ST336607LC

Hello Maurice:

I don't know about CDW and European shipping.  There may be problems with the Seagate unit complying with some of the more recent EU directives on RFI/EMI (electrical 'noise') but I don't know.

It sounds like you have your drives installed in a separate enclosure or an enclosure built into your server that supports the SCA (single connector) drives you are using.  These enclosures come in two general classes:intelligent SAF-TE and non-intelligent SES.  These handle the drive ID assignment (although unlikely, this feature may be disabled in some enclosures), so my comment regarding SCSI IDs is probably inoperative.

If your enclosure has an open slot (i.e., more than three slots) you should be able to install a drive of equal or larger capacity as a hot-plug spare and it should be assigned a non-conflicting SCSI ID.

More details of your hardware (manufacturer of the server and model number) would help, too.

I downloaded the SRCZCR software manual (Intel Order Number: 251755-005) for the controller and found this (Section 4.3.6):

If the RAID controller has a RAID array drive that is in failed (degraded) state, and you
connect to the controller a new hard disk drive that is the same size or larger than the
smallest disk drive in that failed (degraded) RAID array then the RAID firmware will
automatically mark this new disk drive as a hot fix (spare) drive for the failed (degraded)
RAID array drive. Rebuild will then automatically commence. If the new hard disk is
smaller than the smallest hard disk drive in the failed (degraded) RAID array drive, the
new disk drive will not be marked as a spare and the failed (degraded) RAID array drive
will remain failed (degraded). With an intelligent SAF-TE enclosure (or a non-intelligent
enclosure that is configured to auto-detect insertion of hot plug disk drives), a bus scan
occurs automatically when the hard disk drive is inserted. No manual intervention is
required. When a non-intelligent enclosure that has not been configured for auto-detection
of hot plug disk drives is used, a bus scan or reboot is required for the Auto Declare Hot
Fix feature to commence an auto-rebuild.
A new hard disk drive may have the same or a different SCSI ID as the failed hard disk
drive that it replaces.

---------------------------------

Regarding server backup, there is a backup application included with Server 2003. There is a Microsoft-written procedure for using it here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/d/8/bd8e1a40-d202-429a-8eb7-26300d62bcc9/BKU_BkupRstr.doc

However, many users opt for an aftermarket backup product such as Veritas:
http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/veritas/index.jsp

You should have a regular backup procedure in place already.  There are many ways to lose data and a regular backup is one of the key parts of a data protection plan.

Regarding your last question,  total backup and restore of a server can be tricky.  If a total backup and restore is necessary I recommend that you find someone local with experience in that area and vet them throughly before proceeding.

Regards,

wb
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us