Question : Problem: Computer locks up when USB devices are connected

Whenever I connect my USB devices, the computer either locks up or diplays an error message that says device not recognized.  This happens regardless of which device I use - web cam, mouse, passport, etc....  I have already reinstalled the drivers for the USB ports and it didn't help. Everything had been working fine until recently when this problem appeared.  Every so often the USB ports will work, however they usually quit after 20 minutes or less with the message "device not recognized".  Any help would be greatly appreciated

Answer : Problem: Computer locks up when USB devices are connected

You might have damaged USB drivers in your OS.  While a "restore" might help, I would suggest doing a Windows Repair with the XP CD at startup to resolve this.

This will NOT delete your personal files or tamper with your installed applications.  It will however repair your OS core files.  You may need to install SP2 again if the CD does not currently have it.

Here is a great step-by-step guide.  If you decide to do this, be VERY careful and just follow the directions screen-by-screen.

http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/installxpcdrepair/indexfullpage.htm

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us