Question : Problem: Compatibility of The PROMISE FastTrak TX2000 raid controller with the ASUS P4PE motherboard

Hello,

I am using a ASUS P4PE motherboard with 512M Ram, a 120GB MAXTOR harddisk and going to buy a PROMISE FastTrak TX2000 raid controller to add 2 160GB harddisks to build a raid 1 disk array. As the ASUS P4PE motherboard was bought several years ago, does anyone know the compatibility of the PROMISE rom with the ASUS motherboard rom, or does anyone have the experience of using a workable PCI raid 0/1 card (even other good model) with the ASUS P4PE motherboard to build a smooth running raid solution.

Thanks for any comment.

Lawrence

Answer : Problem: Compatibility of The PROMISE FastTrak TX2000 raid controller with the ASUS P4PE motherboard

If I interpret the asus manual correctly, it is for ide and sata, but there seems to be something optional.

I've had a promise tx2000 running with linux, but it meant a lot of reading up of howto's and kernel customization. The Knoppix CD saw the single drives, but not as a raid unit (that doesn't matter with raid 1 though, as so long as you don't want to write anything to the drive it doesn't make a difference). The problem is that these controllers aren't true hardware raid, but rather a kind of software raid with hardware support.

Once you get it configured it works well.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us