Question : Problem: Question regarding Backup Exec v12 and inventory/catalog of media from previous program versions

Does Backup Exec 12 have any issue with the inventory, catalog, and subsequent restore from backups created from version 10.0?

I have historical tapes going back several years and have my current version of Backup Exec (10.0) set to delete catalogs after 90 days (space saving issues).  I was never concerned about having the catalog files in the program, since if I had to restore I'd just inventory, catalog, and do what I needed to do.

Just need to ensure that there'd be no issue.  It's time to upgrade to something more current, and just have to make sure that I don't render any of the historical media I have useless.  If I have to, I'll inventory & catalog all my tapes prior to installing the trial of Backup Exec 11d, and then go to 12.  Obviously something I'd like to avoid if at all possible.

Thanks!

Answer : Problem: Question regarding Backup Exec v12 and inventory/catalog of media from previous program versions

Hi,

As far as inventory and catalog of tapes from older versions of same backup software is supported. So, need not worry about that part. If you do a inventory and catalog all your older tapes then when upgrading to newer versions the migration of data from one version to other will take longer time. So it is advisable to do a inventory of the older tapes after you are at the desired version of backup exec.

The only issue if at all would be if the media has gone corrupt/damaged. Otherwise you can do a inventory of the old tapes as and when required.

bhanu
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us