Question : Problem: Help with RAID please

I asked the question below and never got a response in the 21 days so it was deleted.  I really need help with this.  I thought I might have it in the wrong section, but none of the others seem to make sense for this issue.  Anyone with any ideas, please help.

An existing server at a client that I started handling has an issue with the raid.  The current drives are about full so we brought out 2 more to install as a data volume.  The problem is that whoever built the server put the 2 original drives in slot 3/4 and ran the OS off of them.  Now when I install the new drives in slots 1/2 the system tries to boot from them and says "no operating system.  It is an Adaptec raid controller, the raid utility does not have an option that I can find for which is the primary volume to boot from and the system BIOS only lets you select RAID and the first boot device, but not which RAID.  I have tried just moving the originals to the 1/2 slots but the system does not recognize the volume.  If I boot first and then plug in the 2 new drives, it recognizes them fine.  How can I get around this without having to reload the server from scratch?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Answer : Problem: Help with RAID please

The one thing I know you can do is fix it by editing the boot order in the the boot.ini file.
I would actually just copy the line and add to the description so you can choose to boot either the first or second drive on the controller.

Like this as an example-

--Original file--
[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /USEPMTIMER

--Updated file--
[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Drive 1" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /USEPMTIMER
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Drive 2" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /USEPMTIMER

Notice I just added to the description in quotes and added an option to boot rdisk(1)
You can get more info on this here...
http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/multiboot/boot_ini.htm
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us