Question : Problem: Backup Exec fails with DR Watson error. Bengine.exe stops

Installed Backup Exec 9.1 on a Windows NT 4 server (SP6) 2 months ago. Set a backup of it 3 HDD's and a remote server which has the backup exec remote thing installed.
Its been working fine for over 2 months with a successful backup each day.

I came in on Monday this week to see a DR Watson error on the screen:

Application Error Occured
Bengine.exe
Exception: Access violation (0xc0000005)
Address: 0x004921ec

The Backup Exec Job Engine has stopped and the backup reports failed after varying amounts of data backed up...between 466,023,602 on Monday and 545,999,902 this morning.

Event viewer Application Log) at 11.56pm reports:

Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "SRV030001") (Job: "Daily Backup SRV030001/4/9") Daily Backup SRV030001/4/9 -- The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding.

Backup Exec's job log just reports:

Error category    : Job ErrorsError             : a00081d9 - The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding.

I have installed Backup Exec SP4 and rebooted yesterday but apparantly it has made no difference.

Can anyone out there help?

Answer : Problem: Backup Exec fails with DR Watson error. Bengine.exe stops

I saw similar issues several months ago with my BE deployments.  I even upgraded some to 10d but to no avail.  In the end I found the common factor to be DLT drives - branches with LTO had no issues.  I ended up using BE CPS to centralise my backup rather than replace all the DLTs with LTO.
Accompanying the error, I often (though not always) saw SCSI errors such as a bus reset.

If you can, try one or more of:
another tape drive (hardware)
install BE to the other server + the tape drive and run backup from there
configure BE to backup to disk (proves the install is ok and its the tape part messing up)
ensure the veritas tape drivers are installed not the default windows ones
create a new backup job and execute (just in case the existing job is somewhow corrupt or something)

good luck
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us