Question : Problem: Best software for  testing CPU & Motherboard

What is the best software for testing AMD & Intel CPU's from DOS? I know it can be difficult (if not impossible) to test motherboard, but is there some kind of software for it too that can give some diagnostic info - like if AGP/PCIE slot, memory slot, cpu slot, etc are not working properly? I had several occasions where memory diagnostic tools reported bad RAM, but in fact it was the MB phase unit on the motherboard that lead to RAM slots not functioning properly.

Thanks,
Goran

Answer : Problem: Best software for  testing CPU & Motherboard

Actually software isn't the way to go here. The motherboard is too complicated an electronic device to easily say its one component or the other. The best way is to swap known working components  into a system to see how it reacts. For instance, with the ram issue you have mentioned. If you had swapped in known working ram and it didn't work, then you would suspect the motherboard .
Thats why the software tests are just a starting point when diagnosing a problem. I have found in the past that a good troubleshooting flowchart can take you in the right direction faster as it makes you do things in a logical fashion, excluding things as you go.
Here is a link to such a flowchart.
http://www.fonerbooks.com/pcrepair.htm
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us