Question : Problem: Using SLI RAM

I'll keep this quick.

I want to buy the following RAM: http://www.custompc.co.uk/labs/120998/crucial-ballistix-bl2kit-12864aa804.html

This RAM is SLI, apparently.
-Now, even though the motherboard doesn't expressly say it supports SLI RAM, shouldn't the Chipset support SLI RAM?

-What kind of hit do I take for using SLI RAM in the board, if it turns out it's not supported?

-If using SLI RAM in the board is a waste of money, I must know what RAM anyone can reccomend instead. What RAM would you reccomend?

The computer I've built is for gaming.
Vista reports my RAM as the worst rating of all the components, so I want to upgrade.

Current system:
Vista Ultimate 32-bit.
MSI P6N DIAMOND
Q6600 Intel Core Quad
MSI 8800Ultra OC
2x1GB DDR2 800mhz Kingston RAM (unmatched)
500GB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

Answer : Problem: Using SLI RAM

JedNebula =>  Seems this discussion not only resulted in you knowing all-you-ever-wanted-to-know-and-then-some about the new extended profile RAM modules (EPP and XMP), but has also uncovered a bug in the new EE "Open Discussion" system :-)

This is redundant ... but just so the "accepted answer" actually includes the right information, I'll copy & paste what I originally posted in the Open Discussion here:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, "SLI RAM" is a misnomer ... it's really EPP (Enhanced Profile Protocol) memory.   EPP is an extension of the JEDEC standard SPD (serial presence detect) information that a memory module provides to the motherboard about its operating parameters.   It was initially developed via collaboration between NVidia & Corsar.     EPP provides additional information about voltage levels for different operating ranges ==> this lets the memory operate optimally at other-than-normal clock frequencies (i.e. if you overclock it).

EPP has NOTHING to do with SLI => some SLI motherboards (most in fact) won't use the information;  some newer ones may; and some boards that don't support SLI may also support the EPP information.   Not sure why nVidia uses the "SLI memory" designation.

EPP is an SPD extension for DDR2 modules.   Intel has taken this a step further with their latest chipsets and defined a feature called XMP ("Extreme Memory Profile") for DDR3 memory which is supported by their X38 and X48 chipsets.   This essentially automates memory overclocking ... you simply set "Turbo" mode in the BIOS and the chipset auto-negotiates the best possible memory performance with the modules.

As for your specific questions:

"... shouldn't the Chipset support SLI RAM? " ==>  To use the EPP features, Yes.   But you can still overclock the memory by manually adjusting the parameters.   In this case it doesn't matter, however, as your motherboard has an nVidia 600-series chipset which DOES support EPP memory.

"... What kind of hit do I take for using SLI RAM in the board, if it turns out it's not supported? " ==>  No hit whatsoever.   If a motherboard doesn't support EPP, it simply won"t "see" or use the extended SPD information.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us