Question : Problem: Use of GPS with PDA

I have a Dell Axim X5 PDA with Pocket PC 2002 I believe (unit was purchased new in February 2003 as I recall).

I have a GPS receiver that came with MS Treets & Trips 2006 -- identified on the unit as a Pharos GPS-360.  At the end of the cord attached to the receiver is a USB plug.

I also have a short cable that is identified as "Charging/Sata Cable for Dell X5) and one end slides into the bottom of the PDA (the part that normally sits in the charging cradle when not being used) and the other end is also a USB plug.

Question(s) --

1) Will the GPS Receiver work with my Axim 5 (I believe the GPS is a Pharos GPS-360)

2) What additional accessories, if any, do I need? I do have a short cable that appears to be a data transfer cable specifically made for the dell axim -- one end slides into the bottom of the axim PDA and the other end is USB connector . . . the GPS receiver cord has a USB connector . . .

3) If I purchase a USB adaptor I am guessing I would need one that has 2 female ends into which one one side I attach the short cable USB from the pda and on the other end I would attach the USB from the GPS receiver -- will this work?

My uneducated reasoning would seem to think a USB "adaptor" with 2 female ends would connect the GPS receiver USB with the data/charging cable USB.

But the answer can't be that simple.

Thanks, in advance, for your assistance.

Answer : Problem: Use of GPS with PDA

BTW don't even think of joining the two USB leads as you describe in your question!  The one on the Axim is for data transfer to the PC & possibly for charging the device depending on the configuration of the cable.  The one on the GPS card is for GPS data transfer to the PC.  Neither will be able to detect each other as the PC's BIOS does this.  If the GPS device is powered you could cause irreversible damage to the Axim.

M :o)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us