Question : Problem: slow network printer

I have two computers.  1 desktop and 1 laptop.  Desktop is hardwired to my router and hardwired to my printer which is shared.  It is a Canon LBP5300.  My laptop is connected wirelessly to the network.

Problem: printing to the canon via the laptop is really really slow.  It barely responds.  If i go to properties of the printer it takes about 5min to display the page.  I can forget about printing really.  Printing from desktop is fine.
Strange things are.  I access files off the desktop via the laptop.  no slowness here.  its spot on.  I can also print to another shared printer on the desktop and it is fine.  Just seems related to the LBP5300 printer.  I have also hardwired my laptop to the router and the response time to the shared Canon is the same.  weird.  
I recently replaced my desktop and this is when this problem occured.  new desktop > problem.

Any suggestions for this one?

Thanks

Answer : Problem: slow network printer

Does the laptop print directly to the printer (using a Standard TCP/IP port) or does it print via the desktop? If the latter, try printing direct. Run the Add Printer wizard. Install a *local* printer (M$ wouldn't recognise a networked printer if they see one). When asked for the port, create a Standard TCP/IP port with the printer's address.

If that does not help, try completely removing the LBP5300 driver. To do that, go to Printers and Faxes. First delete the printer. Then go to File > Server Properties and click the Drivers tab. Remove all instances of the printer from that list. Then reinstall and see if it's any better.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us