Question : Problem: I need to recover data from a My Book World Edition

I have a 1 TB My Book World Edition, with built in ethernet. The drive quit responding - became inaccessible from the network. I power cycled the drive and it did not power back on. The drive will spin but nothing else happens. I took the drive out of the case and connected itto my Vista pc via USB to SATA adapter. The pc recognized the unit for a disk drive, sees the partitions in Disk Manager but does not recognized the file systems. Nor does it show up with a drive letter. The only option you have in Disk Manager is to convert the disk to Dynamic disk or delete any of the partitions. Is the file system proprietary with Western Digital? Can any one give me an idea as to how I can recover the files from the drive myself. Is there software that can read the file system to allow me to recover the data?

Answer : Problem: I need to recover data from a My Book World Edition

Guys,
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. The filesystem on the MyBook World Edition is linux based. Another tech and friend helped me with this and we pulled the data off. Connected to his linux computer, found the correct filesystem and voila, the data recovered.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us