Question : Problem: Cisco 3005 Concentrator and Linksys BEFVP41 - NETBIOS

Hello IT folks

I have Cisco VPN 3005 concentrator behind T1.  For the 10 remote offices with two computers each, I have data T1 with Linksys BEVP41 routers. The Cisco concentrator and Linksys router can establish the site-to-site tunnels with static IP addresses on both sides, but can not pass the NETBIOS traffic as if I wanted to set up a folder share on the remote computer from the company’s server.   Cisco said that the shares can not be passed through.  If I use Linksys routers on both side as site-to-site tunnels, then the shares would work.  I have tried the LMHOSTS file: it’s not pingable by the computer name everytime.

Setting up a Windows server running WINS at the remote office is not an option.  

Can anyone help me out with the share problem? Am I missing somewhere?

TIA

Answer : Problem: Cisco 3005 Concentrator and Linksys BEFVP41 - NETBIOS

>>" #PRE must be capitalized."
Yes there are a couple of oddities.
-PRE has to be capitalized, however you do not need it, though should give you faster resolution where it is "pre-loaded".
-you must hit the return key after entering a line, before saving
-and #'s are comment lines
-not sure but it may be case sensitive as well ( I have read LMHosts entries are case sensitive, but I didn't know NetBIOS names were, so you may want to verify the remote computers name case to play it safe)
-after adding entries to the LMHosts file save it without an extension. Has a .sam (sample) extension prior to this

To check your LMHosts file entries are accepted at a command prompt enter
  nbtstat  -R
to purge and reload the local name cache
then enter
  nbtstat  -c
to display the current name cache which should include your LMHosts file entries.
Note; the nbtstat "switches" R & c are case sensitive.

"remote DNS server" ....Do you have your own DNS server, such as a Windows Active Directory Server running at the site you are connecting to? If so add it's IP address in the DNS servers list in your NIC's TCP/IP properties.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us