Question : Problem: Windows Vista and iPod Nano Driver Issue

Just installed latest version of iTunes on client's new Vista laptop (Dell). We started with a fresh iTunes library database to avoid any issues, added all the music from the old XP computer and then re-authorized the songs purchased via iTunes Store.

Everything is working except for her ipod nano which is a 1st generation, 2GB model. Every time we connect it, Vista prompts us for a driver, when we let Vista try to find one it searches with no success. I spoke with a person at the Apple Store near us and he said iTunes should provide the drivers necessary for the ipod. He suggested we try running the latest Vista updates to see if that helps... we did and the problem persists. We also connected the ipod back to the old XP computer and it is working fine with iTunes there. So, it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue.

Any ideas on what can be done next? The Apple Store person said we might want to try uninstalling and then reinstalling iTunes, but I don't see how that might help since iTunes seems fine as is.

Help?

Code Snippet:
1:
NO CODE TO OFFER
Open in New Window Select All

Answer : Problem: Windows Vista and iPod Nano Driver Issue

I fixed the problem. It has been a while since I resolved it and honestly I don't remember exactly how except I had to direct Vista to a windows folder. The following may have been the method I used.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1286482&SiteID=1&pageid=4
SCROLL DOWN TO WICKEDMX

I've been experiencing the same problem with usb storage devices for the last few weeks and have visited numerous forums discussing it. After having no joy I decided to take a look around my system folders and have now got these devices working again. While looking around I discovered 2 points of interest:

In C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository I had two folders named "usbstor.inf" but each one had a different set of numbers attached to the end of the folder name. - could this be where part of the problem lies?

When i looked in my C:\Windows\inf folder i discovered the  usbstor.inf and usb stor.pnf files were missing - this definitely had to be an issue.
Once I discovered these anomalies, I proceeded to copy the pnf and inf files from the most recently updated usbstor.inf folder to C:\Windows\inf. I then went back to the update driver wizard, pointed to the inf folder and what do you know but they all started working again.

As yet I have not had any problem with other usb devices so I don't know whether this solution applies to everything. However I have noticed that most people are having this problem with devices that register themselves as a mass storage device, including most new printers, cameras, etc. Basically anything with on board memory tells windows it is also a mass storage device, so maybe this is what is causing the problem with those particular usb devices.

Hope this helps
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us