Question : Problem: EPOX 8KHA MB won't boot.

I was playing around with the Multiplier and voltage settings in the CMOS last night and may have fried my BIOS. The 8KHA has two LED's on the mainboard that display error codes. The code that showed was C5. My computer will not even get to the first screen.

When I looked this up in the manual is said this for C5:

Call chipset hook to copy BIOS back to E000 & F000 shadow RAM

Have I fried my board?

There are no jumpers on the boeard to reset the voltages or multipliers.

Answer : Problem: EPOX 8KHA MB won't boot.

If you can still get into your BIOS, you haven't fried anything.  You say you can't get to the first screen, but I'm not sure what that means (the BIOS POST or the OS Boot).

If you can still get into BIOS, if it has a default settings/factory settings, change to that and start over.  Also, if you don't want to do that, try disabling Shadow RAM on the Video card.  Also, if you have the busses multiplied too high, it can simply lock up cards.  Try setting your PCI to be 1/4 of a 133 FSB (Front Side Bus).  You might have to fiddle with the divisions, but in general you want to keep the PCI bus to 33Mhz or as close as possible.  If the AGP setting allows this, you should do the same here.

Let me know if you can still get into the BIOS and I'll go look at the manual online to see if I can help.  Otherwise, you might need to reflash the BIOS (if you can).  It's doubtful you smoked the MoBo.

Regards,
thassler
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us