Question : Problem: 24" Wide Monitor Screen Won't Scale to Correct Size

Hello,

My PC has a NVidia GeForce FX 5200 graphics card.  I just purchased a 24" Samsung widescreen LCD. The monitor's native resolution is 1920 x 1200.  When I first connected the monitor and tried to change the screen resolution the highest setting I saw was 1024 x 768.  My graphics card was using a generic driver from Microsoft that was very old.  I downloaded and installed the latest GeForce drivers (175.19). Here is my problem. I am able to set the screen resolution to the desired 1920 x 1200. However, my desktop is stretched too wide. The desktop is clipped so that about 10% of the right side of the screen is not visible unless I move my mouse to the right.  Then the desktop scrolls to the  right (hope I am explaining this correctly).

I have tried a few things but cannot seem to get this to work. I have tried making changes through nVidia control panel, through the standard screen settings in XP, and through the monitor's own buttons.

I read somewhere that I should be using an older driver from nVidia (93.71).  I uninstalled the new version and installed 93.71.  My situation improved.  My screen is now sized correctly and I was able to increase the resolution.  However, I could only go as high as 1600 x 1200.  

Can anyone help me solve this frustrating problem?  I want to get the screen to its native resolution.  

On another topic, is the FX 5200 card OK to use with this new monitor. I use this monitor strictly for office applications and to view digital photos. I do not play any games or do any sort of 3-D work on it.

THANKS!!!!

Answer : Problem: 24" Wide Monitor Screen Won't Scale to Correct Size

Actually I would very much test out that other PC. There is no sense spending any money at all on an AGP graphics card unless you HAVE to and it seems as though you have access to a newer one.

While the x600 is not the "greatest" card so to speak, it will do a much better job then the current one AND you will more then likely notice a "cleaner" screen on some of your more closely worked on photos.

if you are somehow forced into using a new card for that AGP slot, i would say anything from nvidia that is 6600 or higher Back in the day the 6600 was the "gamers card" that could run significantly higher resolutions and keep great performance. I was not a dan of the ATI series from those days so I do not have a particulars from ATI for that level.

Also if possible use the DVI cable to hook up the monitor. You will not be disappointed.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us