Question : Problem: External Monitor not Working Right in Dell Inspiron 8200 Docking Station

I just installed a new HD in my customer's Inspiron 8200. When he plugs it into the docking station, the external monitor comes on briefly during boot up and then goes off (the green LED turns to yellow). I came by to check and I can only get the external monitor into one of two modes.

1) Acting as a second monitor, where I can move the cursor and icons over to it, which is not what we want.

2) Mirroring the laptop monitor.

The external monitor won't work at all with the lid closed, even though I changed the "lid closed" setting to "do nothing".

I'm want to make the external monitor display by itself when the notebook is in the docking station with the lid closed. This had previously worked automatically, before the new HD and thus software.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Answer : Problem: External Monitor not Working Right in Dell Inspiron 8200 Docking Station

You should be able to switch between the internal and external monitor with setting in the BIOS, or with Fn+F? control key combinations.  You do NOT want Windows to see this as a dual-monitor configuration at all.  What you are describing is a single monitor situation in which you change between the two monitors.  However, "mirroring" the display should do the same thing, since the laptop is going to normally turn off the internal LCD display when the lid is closed.  I still think it's most likely a bios setting that will get you what you want.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us