Question : Problem: Cannot access CD-ROM (CDRW) and Floppy Drives in Windows 2000 after un/installing Nero Burner Software

I have installed Nero form its original CD and after that I installed the UDF ( the last option on the main interface window) on Windows 2000. After reboot I could not access the cd-rom nor the floppy disk drives. After clicking on the cd rom drive letter I receive the pop up message "Disk in Drive D is not formatted" regardless of a disk present or not in the drive. Same message for the floppy drive (A:>) After that I tried to uninstall Nero and I received this error message: "Nero - Burning Rom -- Error 1316. A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file C:\WINNT\Installer\Nero - Burning Rom.msi".
I went to Nero's website (ahead.de), I downloaded the latest update of Nero, installed it, and still no access to the removable drives.
I opened the Event Viewer and the message there is: "RSM could not identify the media in drive Drive 0 of library AOPEN CD-RW CRW2440.  An error was encountered while attempting to read data from the media."
I could unistall the newer version of Nero with no problem this time but stiil no luck in accessing the drives.
I started Windows 2000 in safe mode and from there I could access the cd-rom with no problem but when I start it normally I still encounter the same error.
Is there any solution to this problem?
Thank You very much.

System Details:
Windows 2000 Service Pack 2
CD-ROM: Aopen CD-RW 2440 firmware 2.08
Nero burning software: 5.5.x.x (on the original cd I have 5.5.2 something and I also downloaded the latest version from their website)

P.S.
I had the same software installed on Windows 98 (same hardware) and I had no problem with it.

Answer : Problem: Cannot access CD-ROM (CDRW) and Floppy Drives in Windows 2000 after un/installing Nero Burner Software

PAQed, with points refunded (80)

SpazMODic
EE Moderator
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us