Question : Problem: Internet on Garmin IQue?

Are there any way to connect to the internet with a Garmin Ique 3600? This device was made before the days of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. Currently I use Avantgo to sync the device with updated content. Is there some type of converter in order to get internet access? Maybe something that can be installed or a third-party device I can rig to get it to work? Any way to connect using a phone? Thanks

Answer : Problem: Internet on Garmin IQue?

I am not familiar with that specific device.  You can certainly give this a little time to see if another expert can help.  However since there haven't been any posts yet I will at least give a response based on my experience.

There isn't anything that can allow it to get Internet access directly.  The options for interfacing with it are limited to USB, infrared and RS232.  It will need something else that can connect to the Internet.

The other problem is it using the Internet.  Even though the sync may use content from the Internet and get it that isn't done by the Garmin itself.  It is done by the software on the computer, etc.  In other words even if the Garmin somehow got Internet access it wouldn't know how to use it, especially to sync with a site.

The PDAs I have had like this are what I use to say this.  Maybe there is some unique exception to the Garmin but I couldn't find any evidence or hint of it when I looked at the specs or device.  If it had Bluetooth or Wifi then that would be completely different because those mean the Garmin can use IP or the Internet (at least in theory).  Just supporting USB, infrared and serial are not enough though.

Let me know if you have a question about this.  I am sorry the answer is probably (if not definitely no) but I hope this helps explain why and is informative. :)

bol
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us